CHERYL CRAWFORD, ERYT- 500, RCYT, B.S.ED.,YOGA TEACHER, CO-GROUNDER
I am grounded in color and elevated in unconventional absurdity, and am dedicated to connecting children to the power of a seriously playful yoga practice. Working in schools and playing with words, I discovered that students were far more connected to their daily lessons when they felt not only heard, but understood. Seen. Connected. Grounded.
The children at Fernbank Elementary asked me to teach them how to teach yoga. That initiated the creation of Grounded Kids Yoga: Quest For Elevation.
More of Yore:
- My spiritual name Cheryl Went Feral was given to me by my cat, Logic.
- Every 11 years something profound happens in my life~ at age 11 I knew without a doubt I wanted to be a teacher, at 22 I began teaching in Fulton County Schools and taught for 11 years until at 33 I gave birth to triplets. At 44 Anusara School of Yoga certified me and I brought the teachings into Grounded Kids. I can’t wait to see what happens at 55.
- I was born on June 11th and feel so fortunate to have met my Libra balanced business partner, Amy who was born on October 11th. She is as compassionate and smart as they come.
- Our Grounded methodology is created around the number 11~ it’s a number of mastery and we want the children to be masters of their own destiny.
- I have my own children’s network yoga show called Yippee Ki-Yay Namaste where I get to teach elementary, middle and high schoolers.
- I consider Dr. Seuss one of my master teachers and I love fusing his work with yoga sutras. Fusing universally loved children’s books with yoga teachings gives me a map towards becoming more inner literate.
- I created Atlanta Yoga Movement and gain insights from my certified grounded bored members.
- My teenage triplet daughters broaden and deepen my inner landscape~ particularly the state of Love…and Patience…and Humility.
- I’ve learned how to learn from my students, and even though I certify many of them to teach, they in turn certify me to be more aware and more reflective.
- I’m dedicated to supporting and affirming our elevated Grounded Teachers and all school teachers.
- I get to work with my husband, Bruce is Now Loose. He is honest, genuine, hilarious and will do anything for anyone.
- I’m certified to teach Anusara, Kundalini, Correlation Vinyasa, Hot Core Power, YogaKids, and of course, Laughter Yoga.
- I am great and grateful to have trained under Marsha Wenig, John Friend, Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa, Harijiwan, Tej, Gina Minyard, Desiree Rumbaugh, Christina Sell and Paul Muller-Ortega and I continue to study with whole-hearted teachers.
I work on standing -under so I can under -stand.
“A Teacher is sharp enough to cut the hardness of the heart, the rudeness of the mind, the falsehood of the head, and the shakiness of the feet.” Yogi Bhajan
“Cheryl Crawford is a visionary with both empathy and the ability to take effective action, which makes her a force to be reckoned with. She turns dreams into action with a lot of flexibility to make moves.” Jason Marshall, Principal of Fernbank Elementary
AMY HAYSMAN, E-RYT, RCYT, M.ED.,YOGA TEACHER, CO-GROUNDER
My desire to validate and nurture the innate goodness, unique potential and emotional intelligence of a child, no matter what, sparked the creation of Grounded Kids Yoga and fuels my dedication to teaching, supporting and empowering Grounded Teachers during training and beyond. I value clarity, creativity, collaboration and continual evolution. Here are some specific and quirky details for a glimpse into who I am.
- In first grade I decided to become a teacher because I loved my teacher’s clothes, the artistry involved in putting up bulletin boards and how I felt when she said she saw sparkles in my eyes.
- The first poem I ever wrote was about a rock and was inspired by my fervent disagreement with the saying about sticks and stones breaking bones but words never hurting.
- I learned the lesson about bigger and more expensive not being better when, at 8 years old, I spent my “responsibility chart” earnings on a Yorkie and my sister picked a horse.
- I believe children don’t give parents and teachers a hard time but rather, before, during and after having a hard time, need to be shown how to skillfully navigate life.
- I adored teaching Middle Schoolers and thrived when training college students during their practicum but still chose to leave the classroom to raise my two boys and earn a Masters degree with every intention of returning after a few years.
- After a few years I was head over heels for yoga, certified and working as a trainer, mentor coordinator, program director and curriculum developer for YogaKids. Additionally, my E-RYT training includes Radiant Child, Laughter Yoga and Anusara.
- I’m a Libra born on the 11th who thanks my lucky stars for meeting Cheryl Crawford, born on a different 11th, who in all her Gemini glory, is the most seriously playful, ridiculously smart business partner in the whole world.
- Eleven is the number of Mastery and that is the energy from which Grounded’s philosophy and methodology for teaching children yoga and training others to do the same was developed and continues to grow.
- My partner in life is an expansively trained, phenomenal yoga teacher who not only keeps me on my toes but also inspired and co-created Pre-Grounded and our training for Special Needs.
- I resonate with the yogic teaching of The 5 Elements more than any other yoga philosophy I’ve ever studied and it has greatly influenced my personal and professional life.
- I feel that we can only truly teach what we have lived – otherwise it’s called instructing.
BRUCE CRAWFORD, MANAGING PARTNER AND “DIRECTOR OF ALL THINGS COMPLICATED”
Bruce, although not a certified yoga instructor, he happens to be in love with one….which by the transitive property makes him kinda grounded. With over 20 years of engineering, sales, and business development experience in the telecom/data networking industry, Bruce decided to turn his talents and energy towards growing and developing Grounded, LLC.
With a mindful eye on the business operations aspect, his main focus is to remove obstacles, solve problems, and handle all things complicated so that Amy, Cheryl, and the rest of the Grounded community have more time to “Ground” kids and teens. In this capacity he is responsible for financial reporting, IT infrastructure, web design and operations, e-commerce initiatives, product management, and organizational efficiency.
An avid marathon runner and charter participant in the “Yoga For Stiff Guys” class, Bruce has experienced first hand the positive transformation yoga can enable and is grateful for the opportunity to be working with a talented community of teachers who are dedicating their practice towards “elevating” our younger generation through yoga and laughter.
SEDEF DION, E-RYT, RCYT, YOGA TEACHER, CO-FOUNDER OF PRE-GROUNDED
Sedef is an E-RYT 200, RCYT and co-creator of Pre-Grounded Yoga for ages 3-6. She has been practicing yoga for over twenty years and teaching since 1999. She completed her 200 hour RYT in Hatha yoga at Peachtree Yoga Center and since earned Kundalini Yoga certification under the guidance of her teacher Mukta Kaur Khalsa studying Yogi Bhajan’s teachings. She is a Yoga Alliance member as well as Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association (IKYTA). Sedef’s personal yoga style is an integration of the various types of yoga that she has studied and practiced. She believes that yoga is a way of life that brings peace of mind, physical strength, health, vitality, and enhances spirituality. Her classes reflect her dedication of maintaining the sacred integrity of yoga and her heart felt commitment to enjoying the practice on and off the mat. Sedef is a certified Laughter Yoga Leader as well as YogaKids and Radiant Child. She is also a certified Grounded Yoga Teacher, which qualifies her to teach yoga to Elementary, Middle and High School aged kids. Sedef teaches classes, workshops, special events and specializes in teaching Step 2: Pre-Grounded and Special Needs Training.